Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Greys for Days and a bareback ride

After Fynn fell through I was feeling a little bummed about such a fun guy slipping through my fingers, but then I saw an ad for this guy:


And I thought well hey, he's not a thoroughbred, but he's cute. And it's a short drive. And I've got nothing else to do tonight... so I'll go check him out. 


Anyhow, he's super fun and has a bunch of totally random buttons (like his shoulder-in is better than Kat's? What?!) and so he's going to learn about dressage in a way where you actually have to take a contact and teach kids about riding.

First jumps! ;)
I read SprinklerBandit's post about multi-discipline riding and started writing this super gung-ho response about dedication and scheduling and finding the similarities in all the disciplines in order to improve the fundamentals... and then I had a brief flashback to about two hours ago. I was sitting on the mounting block with my Kindle, drinking coffee, watching Kat race my dog along the fenceline and toss some bucks in here and there. After about five minutes Kat decided she was all done and came over to play with me instead - she tried to knock me off the mounting block and then attempted to bite the Kindle. So I put my helmet on and climbed on her bareback. We trotted around for a while and I laughed about how bad our steering is with just a halter and lead rope. We trotted over the trot poles and then I decided against cantering because I didn't have any brakes.

And then I put her away.

With that in mind I opted not to write about dedication and planning re: multi-disciplinary riding hah-hah-hah. 

1 comment:

  1. yay for grays! (and also just hanging out having fun with your horse - sometimes that's better than anything else)

    ReplyDelete