Sunday, January 18, 2015

Four things I found on the web

I came across these four things this week and although many of you have surely seen/read them already, I thought I'd post them here on the off-chance that you hadn't seen them.

I read this article on what is really involved with being a riding instructor.  This is a pretty good summary and good food for thought. My job is hard. I do a lot of things and say yes to probably too much sometimes just to make it by - to pay for my horse, to pay for my continued education to make sure I'm bringing the best knowledge I can to my clients, to feed my dog, to keep a roof over my head. I am generally a positive and upbeat person, but there are times that the instability of my career and the indignation with which people treat me at times (as per the "you charge WHAT? For one hour?" argument) gets to me.

Second, I read this article regarding how often people complain of cheating at horse shows. I think that it's so easy to blame the judge, the other riders, the weather... rather than just say "hey, this wasn't my best riding today. What a bummer. I'll work hard and next time will be better." I even experienced this in one of my clients at SDEC's winter show - surprising, but not unusual. I like this article's write up of why it's so important to develop good sportsmanship.

Third: I read this absolutely PRICELESS wanted ad on Facebook, and I had to share it with you all. I laughed so hard I nearly cried.
I am looking for a very very quiet, dead broke small "boring" gelding for my daughters first horse. It can be ugly as hell or have a hiccup in it's walk I don't care just as long as it takes care of my daughter. Something that almost hates life if it has to do an extended trot. I want something that sits on the couch in nothing but boxers for 3 days watching Seinfeld reruns covered in Cheetos crumbs and be the happiest thing alive doing it. Perhaps like your lazy ex husband? I want western pleasure useless can't do anything athletic movement. My daughter is 4 years old and WILL encourage speed and naughty things and scare the you know what out of me!! She is very outgoing and has no problem getting after a lazy horse! She has some riding experience and is ready for something dead quiet to carry her around the arena on her own. I DO NOT want a "show pony" I do not care about one upping Mrs. Jane Doe and her daughters imported Cob welsh section blah blah gypsy vanner, Friesian, dressage world class Westphalia.. Whatever... No. We want old scar face that killed a cougar once in his younger days and now has nothing to prove. Must load into a trailer. No set price range, I already stated no show ponies so please don't post any. Don't post anything that "with a bit of training" No. I want something so lazy it doesn't "need training" Lol

Lastly, this rider. Ohmylord this rider is beautiful. The longer stirrup is hardly noticeable through his incredible balance over jumps, and I love watching how he uses his core and back when urging the horse forward.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wish I could write wanted ads that well!

      Delete
  2. that video is SO impressive! first article is great too - keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! I'm doing better and better every day.

      Delete