Friday, January 9, 2015

Do you know what Tango said?

I had a really nice school with Tango last night wherein we worked on our shoulder-in at the walk and trot, did a ton of really good lengthening/shortening work at the trot, and then I had a totally crazy thought.

It went something like this.

'He's light and balanced in the bridle at the trot, and I've accomplished all my schooling goals at the trot today. Let's see what we've got at the canter.'

So I said, "Hey, Tango, here's a half-halt and we're bending, and here's the weight and leg aid to canter."

And do you know what Tango said?

Tango said, "OH MY GOD YOU JUST ATTACKED ME OUT OF NO WHERE WHAT THE F*** WOMAN!?!?!"

I was taken aback by this response. I felt we were doing quite well. I thought it logical to start schooling trot-canter transitions, work on the ever-difficult bend to the left... you know. Logical.

I then thought, 'well, let's regroup at the trot and try again once we're organized.' 

I executed that thought by spiraling in on the circle, yielding him out, and then asking for a shoulder-in on the long side.

And do you know what Tango had to say about that?

Tango said, "I'm STILL SCARED FROM WHEN YOU HIT ME. YOU MUST CARRY ME NOW."

I replied, "Tango. Don't lean on me. Neither of us enjoy working together when you lean on me. Let's halt, and take a step back, and try this trot again."

We settled back into the trot work pretty well, with only one forehand flop in a lengthening, but he softened up and went back to the nice, powerful trot we'd been developing.

'Better! Let's try that canter again.'

So I organized myself and my horse, warned him with a nice half-halt, and applied the aids.

And do you know what Tango said?

Nothing.

He said nothing.

He ignored the canter aid altogether.

Can someone help me find my horse?

2 comments:

  1. oy. silly tango - the canter is clearly an exercise developed specifically to torture him and therefore must be avoided at all costs. but hey - at least the trot sounds great!

    ReplyDelete