Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A brief rant

To those who expect trainers to work permanent miracles:

Listen. I do the best I can to train in stages - I introduce and solidify the idea, then I try to keep the idea even when I ride a bit more sloppily, then I try to mimic your riding ability the best I can to ensure the horse still does what he's asked when you are aboard.

Listen, just because a horse can do certain things with me on board does not guarantee that you will be able to recreate it, it just shows what the horse IS capable of. For most this should be inspiring, and give you a sense of 'thank god, I could do it. Now let me get down to the learning of it.'

Listen. When I say that this is not a good idea and you reply "it's my horse, I'm going to do it" and my reaction is to get in my car and leave your farm, do you think it's a good idea to call me afterwards and say "I got bucked off, I want my money back?"

The answer is no. It is not a good idea. I am not going to apologize for my supposed incompetence and give you your money back.

To my readers: I apologize for being purposefully vague. I was going to attempt to write about bringing the horses back from SDEC and all the funny things that happened on the way home, but I am feeling bitter and upset. I am feeling taken advantage of and most of all, I am feeling like people should read the forms they sign. I love horses and I love my clients and I am the luckiest person in the world sometimes, but I think that makes the painful bits feel all the more personal and awful.

Have a video of ponies playing.


6 comments:

  1. :/ sorry you experienced such a crappy thing as that. Not everyone has sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's a strange sport and there's a lot of weird people out there.

      Delete
  2. sounds like a really crappy situation, sorry to hear it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support - it's a weird moment for sure.

      Delete
  3. Ah I've definitely been there. In this situation, I've always been one to invite clients to find a different situation that suits them. Some people want things that I can't provide and sometimes those things are for me to push a button and have the horse just be fixed. It's tough when your financial well-being depends on putting up with shit like this. That was one of my main reasons for quitting the full time training business. I hated saying yes to people who weren't on the same page as I was just so that I could support myself.

    Keep pushing forward, hang on to the clients that want to be there and want to learn and understand that success with horses (or anything really) is not a straight line from here to the Olympics. Those clients are worth their weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I felt I'd covered all the available options... then the lawyer called and I just felt totally dragged through the dirt over a stupid young-horse move. Luckily they backed down, otherwise this would be a whollleee different issue. Thank you - I am blessed with a few clients who are truly wonderful.

      Delete